[Xen-users] Dom0 fails to boot CentOS 5.4

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 fails to boot CentOS 5.4
From: Scott Smith <ssm3tjololo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:23:28 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 04:46:49 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:to:content-type :organization:date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer :content-transfer-encoding; bh=TE4C9ofo0RPpPRm9ZmmzME8nvt5iygyPi2nkE1O3fiQ=; b=XVXzZamOBTWSeFx22RKqSacwdW2Q2879LfkOoR2eK5v3J/dx6zCq9Dml8QM5078JdL HXzPpYFTNp9wSFsxUFdC4P9Y3xvg1H6lFalKrIi/Nnxmu38wquepFeq0I4unGz/JjPwf 9bE0lseNTvdmHFzVfCt+2UVuS26G2csEaV9Wg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey everyone,

I was hoping you all could help me with a problem. I'm trying to run the
xen kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen on CentOS 5.4 X86_64. The dom0 machine
boots the 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 kernel without an issue, so I can get into
it and get any information you might need, however the issue I'm having
is that once I select the xen option from my grub menu, it will go into
the driver load portion of boot and everything will be just fine until
it tries to initialize the harddrive, at which point I get the following
errors (I copied these by hand from the screen, so I may have miswrote a
character or two, but it's as accurate as I can make it:
http://pastebin.ca/1808646 ). I was having an issue with my drive
(ST3250823AS) and its SATA connection, so I had to change the setting in
the BIOS to SATA ONLY, otherwise it gave some weird freeze errors and
wouldn't recognize the drive. Now it's recognizing it, but I'm getting
hda: lost interrupt and failed to request physical IRQ 14 errors.

I'm just wondering if this can be fixed. KVM works just fine on the
machine, but I need to use XEN because we're going to use this machine
as a backup for another one we have running, so it has to be compatible.
Is this a hardware issue? I tried using the beta 2.6.18-190.el5xen
kernel, and it gave the same errors. My grub.conf file is attached here:
http://pastebin.ca/1812408

I also read that there is a way to make a serial over lan connection to
log all the messages at boot, as I was unable to get most of them
because they flew by so fast. If that's necessary, could someone point
me in the right direction? I don't have a serial port on the machine
that would be logging the boot (not to mention no cable to connect them
readily available) so SoL is my only bet, although if it's not necessary
I'd hesitate to do it.

I can't think of any other information you might need, so if you could
let me know what would be helpful I'd be glad to provide it.

Please help!
Scott