Re: [Xen-users] How to get rid of HTTP-Proxy environment variable in do

To: Jan Muhammad <janmuhd@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to get rid of HTTP-Proxy environment variable in domUs!
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:32:48 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:33:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Jan Muhammad <janmuhd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been trying to solve the issue of Xen-based Virtual Machines (as I
> described earlier); I have the problem of ethernet ports locked to a single
> Mac address in my lab--hence VM's can't communicate using bridging other than
> their own dom0.

So what do you use now? routing? bridge to virbr0?

> To further test/confirm, yesterday I took my laptop at home and connected to
> my Home-Hub (which issues DHCP based IPs); I can now ping from my ethernet
> port (dom0--eth0) and as well as VMs port (i.e. domUs) to WindowsXP machine
> and vice versa. The dom0 can ping any IP such as yahoo.com etc; but domU
> still having trouble.

does the problem occur on your "ethernet ports locked to a single Mac
address" environment, or "at home and connected to my Home-Hub"
environment?

> On resetting http_proxy variable now dom0 can get updates via "apt-get
> update".

who sets that? by default any OS installation does not have http_proxy
environment variable. User must set it manually.

> But the real issue for me is that domU still using 'http_proxy' environment
> variable (although I tried to reset it--- as I've done with dom0).

the same question, who sets that?

> In the /etc/profile I commented the proxy entries and then done # source
> /etc/profile [checked http_proxy--to make sure it gets reseted]. But for domU
> there seems to be an issue that since HTTP_PROXY varible don't gets clear

how did you determine it's not cleared? what's the output of

echo $http_proxy
echo $HTTP_PROXY

> (or may be when I created this VM when http_proxy variable was set...?).

There's no such thing.
the only thing dom0 can pass to domU is in the form of kernel extra
line. And that's only when you put kernel on dom0.

> This is resulting in apt-get update to fail; whenever I try to run this
> command it says "0% [Connecting to www.myproxy.com] [Connecting to
> wwwcache.com.xxx]". I wonder why it is trying proxy and which file it is
> using?

Again, what is the current content of those variables?
Does your ISP uses transparent proxy?

> Any thoughts how to get rid of this proxy variable entry permanently?

Short answer, it should have nothing to do with Xen.
It has everything to do with the configuration of whatever OS your
domU is running, and how your ISP sets up networking (like transparent
proxy).

--
Fajar