[Xen-users] Re: rebased Xen kernel patches for 2.6.32

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: rebased Xen kernel patches for 2.6.32
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:37:54 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:40:42 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=pAE5bKBjJF1O2cSfd7g5kM1pbNkTRdqR6CVBbhjuk48=; b=h4t4OQ1NRNx4A185rnVIMbhik8oJXjUIaRF1xsVakcMHSOXPPsjXC745rQ27AP5E4g aGGBLlYXf7q9+EIoVE6onuMFyz8A2ynowWxQQT53KShM+oYppW243yT/mydgxFQR0uNp 7ZSAi244e1U//YiZ93eDlDjsPG9sN4PObjg+Y=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 04:52:16PM +0000, Andrew Lyon wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Andy: Have you planned to release rebased patched against kernel.org
>> > 2.6.32 kernel?
>> >
>> > Debian folks are going to release their next release with 2.6.32 kernel,
>> > and they're looking for patches..
>> >
>> > OpenSUSE kotd seems to have patches available..
>> >
>> > -- Pasi
>> >

>> Hi Pasi,
>>
>> I've not looked at 2.6.32 yet, I wanted to make absolutely sure that
>> the problems with 2.6.31 were fixed before I try .32 as I plan to drop
>> the 2.6.29 ebuild at the same time as releasing the final 2.6.31
>> ebuild (which will be 2.6.31.12), .31 seems to be rock solid since Jan
>> fixed the swiotlb problem.
>>
>> I might have time next week, its quite a simple process to cherry pick
>> the minimal set of openSUSE patches and adjust them to apply to
>> vanilla, actually going through all of the patches and reviewing them
>> would be a huge task!, I feel guilty when people thank me for the
>> effort as its  99.9% Jan's work and 0.1% my own, but I guess it saves
>> people some effort and increases the volume of testing that the
>> patches receive.
>>
>> By the way they now have a gitorious mirror so there is no need to
>> download rpm's and extract the patches from them.
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source/commits/master
>>

> Hello again,
>
> Now that pv_ops dom0 is getting close to being 'ready' for 2.6.32,
> it would be nice to have xenlinux patches for 2.6.32 aswell.. :)
>
> I'm planning to compare and benchmark against each other..
>
> I can give the novell patches a go myself, but always easier if someone
> who already knows the stuff does it..
>
> I'm probably going to do some tests/benchmarks next week if all goes well.
>
> -- Pasi

Hi Pasi,

I don't think there is much point in rebasing the novell/suse patches
for 2.6.32 because they already moved on to 2.6.33, I chose to put
some effort into 2.6.31 because it is the kernel used for opensuse
11.2 and is therefore maintained for a longer period of time, in fact
it has recently been updated so I will be doing some testing in the
next few days and releasing a updated set of patches for 2.6.31.12.

I am still learning C and while I can fix simple bugs I really
struggle with anything more difficult than that, Jan does all the hard
work.

You could identify the point at which their git tree moved on from
2.6.32 by accessing the mirror at
http://www.gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source and then pull the
patches at that revision, but if there are any issues with the kernel
it is doubtful that Jan would be interested unless the issue affects
2.6.33/head as well.

If you like I will rebase the current patches for 2.6.33-rcX as they
are in the git mirror now, I plan to track whichever kernel is used
for opensuse 11.3, currently that looks like being 2.6.33 but that may
change.

Andy