Re: [Xen-users] bootable disk of xen on xen.org

To: John Smith <slash5bmw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bootable disk of xen on xen.org
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:55:12 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:55:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM, John Smith <slash5bmw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is the software on xen.org the same as xenserver?

There are several projects on xen.org.

Xen hypervisor is the core component. It can't be run independently,
you also need a dom0-capable OS (like Linux) to install it.

XCP (Xen Cloud Platform ) is "a complete cloud infrastructure platform
with a powerful management stack based on open, standards-based APIs,
support for mutli-tenancy, SLA guarantees and deteailed metrics for
consumption based charging"

xenserver is the stable, supported version of XCP.

> I was unable to download a bootable disk of xen on xen.org

Depends on what you need, you can pick one of
http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=1686939
http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/LiveCD
or even the linux distros with Xen support (like RHEL/Centos and opensuse).

Note that there's a major difference in management tools between
XCP/Xenserver and the normal Linux+xen hypervisor. Try them out, and
pick the one that suits your needs best.

--
Fajar