RE: [Xen-users] XCP importing dd img to vdi

To: "'Anatoliy.Poloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Anatoliy.Poloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XCP importing dd img to vdi
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 22:56:36 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:57:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> Hi all, i have read XCP docs but have no fully imagination of how is
> storage layer works, it is possible to do
> "dd if=/path/to/phis of=/path/to/saved.img" on working Server and do
> reverse "dd if=/path/to/saved.img of=/pash/to/some.vdi" ?
>
> if not have some any other ways to do that?

The storage layer sits behind an interface which supports operations like
vdi_create, vdi_destory, vdi_snapshot, vdi_clone. Multiple implementations of
this interface exist which represent VDIs as .vhd files on NFS servers;
.vhd-format data on LVs on shared LVM VGs; and LUNs on iSCSI/FC targets. You
can add a new plugin module if you have storage in a particular format.

Are you trying to backup and restore a VM? If so, you could consider:
* creating a VM snapshot (xe vm-snapshot); then
* either:
** revert the VM to the snapshot (xe snapshot-revert)
* or:
** create a VM template from the snapshot (xe snapshot-create-template); export
the template (xe template-export); import it on a different resource pool (xe
vm-import)

If you really want to 'dd' a disk then the safest way is to block-attach it to
dom0 first. Have a look in the script /opt/xensource/debug/with-vdi.

Currently the storage interface doesn't export a 'sparseness map' of the
underlying disk. In future we're hoping to figure out a good way to make this
information available.

Cheers,
Dave