RE: [Xen-users] iSCSI vs NFS

To: "Andy Pace" <APace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] iSCSI vs NFS
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:36:55 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 06:38:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

performance...

Those don't have to be mutually exclusive.  From block storage you can
easily carve out some filesystems that you export as NFS.  And if you
really do have hundreds of VM's, I doubt you're going to do this on a
single SAN appliance unless I/O is *really* light.

For what it's worth, my money's on AoE rather than iSCSI.  Fast, simple,
extremely easy to setup and manage.  I prefer to run the block protocols
on dom0 hosts and export the block devices to domU's (phy:).  Tests show
this yields better throughput.

-Jeff