Re: [Xen-users] set static ip in config file

To: ma qiang <maqiang1984@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] set static ip in config file
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 00:37:14 -0800
Cc: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:39:27 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=G8ABjpGePEwzRjQ0RqJbUBQytFRuuZCtGlOH7Tb0bgI=; b=o1SPfxSBgqTAVEUmpvHMMhDaZaWAIlhn1xMozRN0fh77XIydvqj9RSTknpx1rwdelx M+mohxAXJ8h7vrPsCCAlvgOhhKrIum8W7EIno3WaDlXBPMD6Itf3llC65/DDhOLK+J3K wtUvDlpQ8YUVHruQzoAzW7dANGBQ0IqMBWW1M=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best Wishes
Qiang Ma

> Short answer: that's the way it works.
> There are cases when setting IP in domU config file can be used (for
> example when deploying custom bridge+iptables script), but that's
> kinda complicated. The short version is that using the default setup
> the setting is not used and has no effect on actual domU IP address.
>
> --
> Fajar

In addition to that the CentOS kernel is not compiled with CONFIG_IP_PNP so having a DomU with
the ip set in the config file will never work. It will if you recompile the kernel or use a different OS like Debian in the DomU.
The CentOS kernel does pay attention to the MAC address assigned in the DomU config file though so you
can set up a DHCP server with that MAC in it and it will assign the IP you want.

Grant McWilliams