Re: [Xen-users] Help: cannot attach to the domain's console. why?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM, ma qiang <maqiang1984@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>   Thanks a lot.  I can connect to domU's console by munally updating
> /etc/inittab and grub.conf,

there's also /etc/securetty

> but a little trouble is that after my type
> "xm console test& enter", the console cannot print until I enter
> again.

I believe that's normal. When you run "xm console" to a HVM guest, it
doesn't display any previous output. When you press enter, it displays
a new login prompt (or new bash prompt, if you're already logged in).

>   Now I want to setup serial console automaticly when I install
> centos domU. I add "console='ttyS0'" to config file

No, that's not it. When you boot to CD installer, it should ask you
what to do (the "boot:" prompt). Normally you'd just press enter. If
you want serial console support, you'd have to type "linux
console=ttyS0" and press enter. Note that this will cause all output
to be on serial port (that is, you have to run "xm console" to
continue installation, as the GUI console will seem to stop working),
resulting in text-based (non-GUI) installation. This may or may not be
what you want. Personally, I like this better :D

You could PROBABLY play around with console lines to see what
arguments runs the installer on GUI but still sets up serial console
properly. Perhaps "linux console=ttyS0 console=tty0" will do. Google
should help, something like
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.txt

--
Fajar