Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.4.2 /proc/xen/balloon doesn't exist

To: Gabor Szilagyi <szilagyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.4.2 /proc/xen/balloon doesn't exist
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:40:12 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:40:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I am new to XEN. Try to move from vmware and Virtualbox (I use both now).
>
> Unfortunately, Debian Squeeze no longer support xen (out of the box no dom0)

Afaik Debian guys are working on it.. dom0 kernel should appear before Squeeze.

> So I am trying to make it myself.
>
> I have installed xen 3.4.2 from source, did make world and installed.
>
> Got the kernel source from from the git repository with the xen patches
> following the xen wiki.... compiled dom0 kernel just fine.

So you're using pv_ops dom0 kernel?

> I can boot xen, with grup (old something went odd with grub2 for me) and
> then it boots my dom0 kernel fine.

For GRUB2 see:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems

> Here I got stuck trying to create a hvm instance for installation of OS.
>
> root@rasnew:/etc/xen# xm create -c /etc/xen/test1.cfg
> Using config file "/etc/xen/test1.cfg".
> Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/xen/balloon'

Did you mount /proc/xen ? You need to have xenfs mounted.

See:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

For more information about mounting /proc/xen.

-- Pasi