Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] questions

> In the usual way.. I guess you're not familiar with serial consoles?
>
> The "oldskool" way is to use serial cables ("null-modem cables") and
> connect the serial ports of the servers to other computers or
> terminal servers. Then configure the Xen-hosts to use the serial port
> as a console logging/printing everything there, and the other computers
> or terminal servers to log everything from the serial ports and write to
> disk.
>
> If you're using a laptop to log, you can get an USB serial adapter
> for the laptop for logging.
>
> USB serial adapter cannot be used on the Xen hosts, since the serial port
> needs to be accessible before USB drivers are loaded in the dom0 kernel.
>
> This allows you to capture and store everything that happens (=is printed on
> the console)
> on the Xen-hosts.
>
> The 'newskool' way is to use serial console over SOL (Serial Over Lan). SOL
> devices
> can be found from most new servers nowadays, usually from the management
> processor
> (for example HP iLO or IPMI).
>
> Basicly SOL presents a (PCI) serial port to the OS, but the management
> processor
> makes it possible to use/attach to that serial port over the network over an
> IP connection.
>
> Some desktop computers also have Intel AMT/vPro (Active Management
> Technology),
> which also has virtual serial port over the network implemented.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with serial consoles and I'm remote to the
servers. We do have iLO cards in the servers where I can take over the
servers console. In these cases where the server has problems, it's a
black screen and you can't do anything.

> You might want to check XenConvert.
>
> V2V can be also done manually, but it's a bit tricky with the drivers and
> stuff..

Yeah, tried both of these when I tried XenServer 5.5 and had no success
with either of them. At the time, a couple months ago, I did a lot of
searching for answers and it seemed that a lot of people were having
similar problems.

Thanks,
James