Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI Volumes and Xen

>>> On 2010/01/14 at 09:06, John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Is the only backup option for a running domU to run a conventional backup
>> client within it, such as bacula?
>
> If it were my data, I'd do conventional backups.  Others here report
> success with snapshots, however, so I'll let them chime in.  I've never
> looked into the xm save/restore stuff.
>
> John

Backups and Snapshots have different purposes and aren't mutually exclusive.  I
use both - backups are stored on separate media so that if I lose my entire
disk array I have a copy of the data, snapshots allow for quick recovery in the
case of an operator error, application bug, guarding against rogue updates,
etc.  ZFS's ability to send/receive may mitigate the separate storage issue
usually associated with snapshots, as it will allow you to snapshot and then
send that data to another array.  Also, even with conventional backups, you
still need a way to halt transactions on your applications for long enough to
be able to get a clean copy of the data.  The problem is the same for both
snapshots and backups - in both cases, you either need to make sure that the
application is capable of recovering from an unclean shutdown or that you're
flushing everything to disk before you suck the data off.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.