RE: [Xen-users] GPL PV drivers

To: "Brian Krusic" <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPL PV drivers
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:21:19 +1100
Cc: shriganesh shintre <shri_31@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 17:21:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi james.
>
> Perhaps you can help me.
>
> So I have pic pass through working for an Nvidia card which is my 2nd
> graphics adapter.
>
> I wish to dedicate it to a particular domU.
>
> Besides adding the below line in my domU config file;
>
> pci = ['07:00.0']
>
> What else do I need to do before compiling Nvidia drivers (I found a
> few write ups that tell you how to do this) in that domU?
>
> Incidentally, do you know how to make the above pci line work in the
> new domU config syntax?

Someone else is working on pci passthrough for GPLPV. It might be ready
for some testing shortly.

I've never used pci passthrough at all (well... not since xen 2.0
anyway) but from discussions I've had it appears that once PV drivers
become present, Xen (or qemu at least) assumes that the PV drivers will
handle the passthrough function instead of qemu. That may be incorrect
though... hopefully someone else can enlighten me.

James