Re: [Xen-users] Waht kernel source

To: Mauro Gatti <mauro.list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Waht kernel source
From: Tait Clarridge <tait@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:39:24 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:40:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 02:50 -0800, Mauro Gatti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am running fedora 11 under xen on a VPS machine (so I have a limited
> control on the machine)
> I am playing with openswan and KLIPS and I need to build the ipsec.ko
> kernel module.
> I would need to download kernel source but I am really confused about
> what source I have to get.
>
> uname -r tells:
> 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen
>
> ls /lib/modules tells:
> 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen
>
> I have no sources in /usr/src/kernels
>
> Is there a source code named "2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen" which I can
> download or should I install kernel-devel source using yum?
> If I used yum I would download 2.6.30.9...
> yum info kernel-devel
> Available Packages
> Name       : kernel-devel
> Arch       : i586
> Version    : 2.6.30.9
> Release    : 96.fc11
> Size       : 6.3 M
> Repo       : updates
> Summary    : Development package for building kernel modules to match
> the kernel
> URL        : http://www.kernel.org/
> License    : GPLv2
> sufficient to build modules
>            : against the kernel package.
>
> and kernel.org has only source code from 2.6.18.1 to 2.6.18.8
>
> Could you explain me how "kernel" is seen on xen?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mauro

You can try the package "kernel-xen-devel", but looking at your kernel
version you will most likely want to update "kernel-xen"

[root@---- ~]# yum info kernel-xen-devel
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * addons: www.ontime1405.com
 * base: centos.mirror.iweb.ca
 * extras: centos.mirror.iweb.ca
 * updates: mirror.steadfast.net
Available Packages
Name       : kernel-xen-devel
Arch       : x86_64
Version    : 2.6.18
Release    : 164.6.1.el5
Size       : 5.3 M
Repo       : updates
Summary    : Development package for building kernel modules to match
the
           : kernel.
URL        : http://www.kernel.org/
License    : GPLv2
sufficient to
           : build modules against the kernel package.

Also, you might want to use a VM for openswan... not a good idea to have
your xen host running services other than Xen.

Tait