[Xen-users] installing a guest operating system

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] installing a guest operating system
From: richard heade <richard.heade@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:02:18 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:03:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been reading through the how-to's, and installation guides, but I have a couple of questions that I have been unable to resolve.

The first question is about the partition(s) the guest operating system would require.  The how-to gave an example where, for a linux guest OS, a root and swap partition are created on a second unused drive.  Is there any reason why, allowing for disk space, those two partitions couldn't have been created on the same drive as the host OS?

The second question is on installing the guest OS to the partition.  Does the guest OS installation have to be done through Xen, or, once the partitions are set up, could the installation be done directly, through a boot to the guest OS's installation CD/DVD?  If the guest OS can be installed directly, could it also be installed prior to the installation of Xen - similar to setting up a dual-boot system?