Re: [Xen-users] Services running in dom-0 vc dom-u

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Jan Bakuwel <jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hoi Hans,
>
>> On one of the systems connected to Internet (99.9999% of the systems are
>> not here) is doing mirroring of gwdg.de.
>> So my nfs-server (currently in dom-0) hosts the repo's for SuSE, ubuntu,
>> centos, fedora and *BSD.
>> The real rsyncing is done in a dom-U, but i found, if i do not apply
>> rate-limiting with rsync, it will destroy the dom-0, causing oopses and
>> panics.

That is most definitely a bug.

>> So i could rebuild the lot, with the dom-0 doing only xen-stuf, and have
>> the nfs-functionality transferred to a dom-U, but only if it solves
>> anything, otherwise it's a waste of time...

rsync, nfs, or other-programs with high I/O load should never cause
dom0 to panic/oops.
If you have time, I highly suggest using RHEL5.4 with it's kernel
2.6.18 as dom0. It's the most stable xen kernel for me so far.

Moving nfs server to domU will help isolate the problem, since (at
least) if it's dead other domU can keep on running happily.

--
Fajar