Re: [Xen-users] Java JVM and memory on Xen

To: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Java JVM and memory on Xen
From: Rob Shepherd <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:14:31 +0000
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:15:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Madden wrote:
One would expect an OOM Error to come through a JVM stacktrace. This is a JVM Segfault.

I wouldn't expect that, or anything else logical, to come from JVM. OOM may very well just segfault the clients it's killing, so check dmesg or syslog to see what happened.

Nothing in dmesg/syslog etc.

By the way. Logical out of memory errors are supposed to come from the JVM.

see: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/OutOfMemoryError.html

One can simulate this by growing the heap size. Thus seeing a segfault is a problem with the JVM, (and/or it's supporting/underlying OS subsystems)

Thank you though

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd BEng PhD - Director / Senior Engineer - DataCymru Ltd