Re: [Xen-users] vlan support in HVM

To: Alvin Starr <alvin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vlan support in HVM
From: Jan Bakuwel <jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:55:49 +1300
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:56:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Alvin,

> I have been trying to get a HVM DomU running and being able to connect
> to a vlan.
> I am starting to get the feeling that at least the hw emulations I
> have tried do not supoprt vlans.
> Also all the things I have found online would have me creating the
> vlans inside the Dom0 and pushing them to the DomU's as regular
> interfaces.

I've similar experiences...

I managed to get it going once but it seemed very erratic (odd?),
usually didn't work but sometimes it did? I've given up on trying to use
VLANs in domU. The only way seems to be (as Tait suggested) to setup
VLANs in dom0 and bridge them to your domU's.

cheers,
Jan