Re: [Xen-users] Anyone running SLES11?

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Anyone running SLES11?
From: J <dreadpiratejeff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:02:59 -0500
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:03:41 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=0x/dILEYaAUM9R6uCwnJw+fSCa60pLw6I7FtpIIbgJw=; b=uLpYhi+Klvh7llhsuJotNCEtwAYADPoCK9atQ9roEpULcORfQQLLymTIU/tBZMzqc9 aDn9eXB7PDhMn4SVAZ9Rhx2eu6/kc8m+rOwfhRu1HYx8DhmYSbXq/ybJo6QPib3rjXWO dp2DHspqYohT+l70ns7yuL+viwagRSvbjUc9c=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 09:54, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now I've installed sles11 but I'm having some issues. In the past I
> would run sles10 at init3 and use vnc for getting to X to run
> virt-manager. They've changed some things with sles11. When you pick xen
> during instal it doesn't install X. When I tried to load vnc I obviously
> couldn't get gnome window manager in my vnc session.

IIRC, SLES has options at install time, and one of those is Xen Host,
or Virtualization Server, or something like that.

If you choose Virtualization Server, no X is installed, and installing
GNOME won't do either... you have to install the entire X susbsystem.

I believe, and I could be mistaken because it's been forever since I
did any work with SLES and Xen, but the work-around we got from SuSE
was to install a regular server system, NOT the Virtualization Server
option or whatever it's called, and then add Xen in after install via
YaST.  That gets you a full GUI system and Xen.

HTH,

Jeff

--

Jonathan Swift  - "May you live every day of your life." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html