Re: [Xen-users] moving LV's devices to a SAN server.

To: Israel Garcia <igalvarez@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] moving LV's devices to a SAN server.
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:56:29 +0700
Cc: Xen Users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:57:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Israel Garcia <igalvarez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have, untested, a way to move lv's from an old  VG to a newone remote VG:
> cat /dev/VG1_dom0/lv1 | ssh  storage "cat > /dev/VG2_storage/lv1"
> So,  at the end I should have all lv's devices in the storage server.

I prefer "dd" instead of "cat", but basically anything that can
transfer the content of a block device or file should do.

> final questions:
>
> do you know if it works? I mean if domU starts without problems using
> this devices attached?

If you copy the storage (dd, cat, etc.) while domU is shut down then
it should generally work.

> is there another better way to move several domU's storages to a SAN server?

"better" is in the eye of the beholder :D
For example, if the domU is windows, I prefer to dd the first 512byte
of disk (to copy MBR and partition table) and use ntfsclone
afterwards. If the domU is Linux I prefer to use mkfs + tar/rsync.
It's more efficient in terms of data transfer, but adds complexity
somewhat.

> do you think it's a good idea to use crossovers between dom0-SAN
> instead a switch?

Depends on your setup. If your SAN has lots of ports and you can use
at least two cables for crossover, it might be best to do so, thus
eliminating switch as single point of failure. However on normal
datacenter setups (with lots of servers accessing a SAN) you'd
probably want to use redundant switch instead.

--
Fajar