RE: [Xen-users] Re: [xen-discuss] I/O performance concerns. (Xen 3.3.2)

To: "Dot Yet" <dot.yet@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: [xen-discuss] I/O performance concerns. (Xen 3.3.2)
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:11:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:13:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In my opinion—invest in a big drive array.  A box with 15 inexpensive SATA disks, RAID 5/10, should give you plenty of disk bandwidth for a few domU's.  SSD's are nice, and perhaps essential if your application is really sensitive to latency, but they are expensive and not necessary just to get more disk bandwidth.  (The appliances we use run around $5k full of disks, and can give close to 200MB/s read/write throughput.)