Re: [Xen-users] mounting a filesystem image

To: geert Geurts <begeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mounting a filesystem image
From: Marcel van Dorp <M.vanDorp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:32:33 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 05:33:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

geert Geurts wrote:
> Hello list,
> I'm a quit newby on xen, I'm studying  for CLP...
> I've got a domU setup and running without problems, I made a image using
> dd and formated after that using losetup to associate it to a loopdevice
> and than fdisk loopdevice to create two partitions on the image. So i've
> got /home/geert/xen/opensuse11/disk.img as my disk image, and it
> contains 2 partitions one swap device and one root partition.
> They function as axpected and I'm a happy man. Except for one problem...
> How can I mount the second partition on the host computer? I mean I can
> losetup -f /home/geert.../disk.img and then fdisk -l /dev/loop0 shows my
> two partitions but how can I access those partitions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Greetings,
> Geert

part1: You need losetup with an offset to skip the partition table, and
part2: You need losetup with an offset to skip the first partition.

In short:

losetup the complete image (assuming /dev/loop0 as new device)

fdisk /dev/loop0

Write down #bytes per sector (usually 512)

option u to change units to sectors
option m to print the partition table

for each partition, write down Start and Blocks value

exit, and remove loop device

Calculate first offset = Start sector * sector size,
usually 63 * 512 = 32256

Now you can reconnect image on loop device, using the offset:

losetup -o 32256 /dev/loop0 binary.img

finally make a filesystem

mkfs -t ext3 -b1024 /dev/loop0 [#blocks of part1]

Repeat with values for second partition, and use another loop device (eg
/dev/loop1)

losetup -o [offset2] /dev/loop1 binary.img
mkswap /dev/loop1 [#blocks of part2]

Finally you can mount the first partiton, and use 'swapon' for the
second partition.

That should do it.

Marcel