RE: [Xen-users] Replicating a live server on a domU

To: "Alexandru Florescu" <alex@xxxxxxxx>, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Replicating a live server on a domU
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:46:19 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:47:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 2009/10/28 at 18:27, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anybody ever stumbled upon the need to replicate a live and in
> production
>> server to a virtual machine?
>>
>> I'm trying to virtualize a bunch of servers but I can't figure out how
> can I
>> mirror the file system. I do not want to start from scratch with them.
>>
>> The whole idea is to transfer them to the virtual side as they
> currently are.
>>

> I do this on a semi-regular basis as part of backup testing for clients
> (eg to make sure that their backups are good). In theory you can just
> clone the disk and possibly fiddle with the CriticalDeviceDatabase and
> Services/xxx keys to ensure that the IDE driver can be used for booting.
>
> James

Novell recently acquired a company called PlateSpin that does exactly this -
currently the "live" functionality only works for Windows operating systems,
but they're promising a version that will do Linux, soon, as well.  Linux can
be done in the current version, but you have to bring the Linux system down -
you can't do it on the fly.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.