Re: [Xen-users] Issue when booting DomU with partitioned disk image

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Issue when booting DomU with partitioned disk image
From: Dennis Storm - Drecomm BV <d.storm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:43:24 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:44:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Jamon Camisso wrote:
Dennis Storm - Drecomm BV wrote:
<snip>
Now, the problem: If we boot this DomU it flies through the kernel, but when it tries to mount the filesystem, it does absolutely nothing, just keeps hanging there (keep in mind, on other Debian Lenny Dom0's this works flawlessly, only difference is the RAID-array!)

I tried to figure out if the Dom0 was broken for some reason, so I used xen-create-image to debootstrap a fresh Domu in a raw disk image (without partitions, just plain raw), and that one booted just fine with the same swapfile and the same config.

Call me flabbergasted, i'm kinda clueless. Any idea's hints or brilliant remarks that could help me figure out this non-enjoyable problem?

Try booting the domU as a fully virtualized guest and see how that works. At least that way you can isolate whether it is your particular domU kernel that is causing the problem, or if it is something else. Make sense?

Jamon
Dennis Storm - Drecomm BV wrote:

Yes, makes sense. I tried that, and unfortunately still exactly the same issue, it broke down on exactly the same spot. I brought the domU down again and copied the disk.img to another Dom0, and there it booted up fine... Unfortunately it can't remain on that Dom0, since the customer is paying us for a dedicated Dom0 for only hist DomU's...