Re: [Xen-users] hardware recommendations please

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Chris Fanning
<christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yeah, good luck. That's what I'm going to need.
> I've been installing the occasional xen server for 4 years now, and it's
> always the same story. :(

What are you going to use it for anyway?
If it's "normal" (e.g. web, database, etc.) server stuff, you probably
won't need IOMMU anyway.
Intel VT/AMD-V (supported in CPU and BIOS) should be enough to run
Windows guests, and a lot of setup supports it. It'd probably be
easier to ask your supplier whether it can run Windows 7's "XP mode"
(it has the same requirement for VT).

Personally I've only used Dell/HP/IBM/Sun boxes for Xen on servers
(it's "company policy" thing). I needed to enable VT in BIOS
here-and-there, and update NIC's firmware on some old IBM servers, but
other than that they work great for Linux and Windows domUs.

--
Fajar