Re: [Xen-users] NIC and domU - direct attach

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NIC and domU - direct attach
From: Jorge Armando Medina <jmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:20:35 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:21:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
William wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > you can simply not give a public IP to the Dom0.  it doesn't need IP
> > to do the bridging.
>
> Can you explain me this ?
> I have two network cards in my domO and I used this command to create
> a new bridge for for dom1 :
> /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=10 netdev=eth2 bridge=eth2
>
> But it doesn't work, if the host interface isn't configured.
To attach a interface to a bridge, the interface nees the UP attribute,
it doesnt need a IP address, it just need to be UP.

$ sudo ifconfig eth2 up

:)

> Thanks.
>
> Javier Guerra wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to attach directly one network card to DomU ?
>>
>> yes, it's called PCI passthrough
>>
>>> I want my dom1 directly connected to Internet whereas Dom0 not
>>> because with
>>> the bridge method, I have to use two public IP.
>>
>> you can simply not give a public IP to the Dom0.  it doesn't need IP
>> to do the bridging.
>>
>> or, you can give the public IP to Dom0, and use NAT+portforward to
>> DomU instead of bridging

Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México
Web: http://www.e-compugraf.com
Tel: 55 51 40 72, Ext: 124
Email: jmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG Key: 1024D/28E40632 2007-07-26
GPG Fingerprint: 59E2 0C7C F128 B550 B3A6  D3AF C574 8422 28E4 0632