[Xen-users] Re: scsi streamer inside a XEN VM crashes the VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: scsi streamer inside a XEN VM crashes the VM
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:26:13 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 05:27:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rupert wrote:
Hello,

i have a superloader3 with a DLT-S4 drive connected to my dom0,
I blocked the device for dom0 and added it to one VM.
We use Xen 3.3 on a CentOS 5.3 System, the VM is located on a LVM device.

Everything worked fine for 3 days, but now when I start my backups script the whole VM crashes!

At the new reboot it seems to hang for ages on this line:

Starting udev: Disabling IRQ #16

I did these commands to block the device on dom0:

modprobe pciback
echo -n '0000:03:04.0' > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/aic79xx/unbind
echo -n '0000:03:04.0' > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
echo -n '0000:03:04.0' > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

than I added  pci=['03:04.0'] the VM configfile.

Strangely when I start tar from the command live it exits with an error but does not crash the
machine

tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 4096 of 10240 bytes

During a reboot the messages is flooded with these messages:
[...]

did we do something wrong here?

thnx

Rupert

Did you blacklist the aic79xx driver on dom0? While unbinding and rebinding to pciback may work well in general I can think of problems if the driver gets loaded twice (i.e. initializing /loading a card specific rom).

Do you see any error messages releated to permissive mode? This would be most likely on dom0 while domU is loading the driver or starting the tar.

If that doesn't help you may want to try pvscsi. Not sure if this is incorporated into the CentOS kernels yet, but its generally less intrusive (i.e. pci-passthrough blocks migration).

Best regards,
   Christian