Re: [Xen-users] Frequent para (Linux) domU hangs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Frequent para (Linux) domU hangs
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:43:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 03:44:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Bakuwel wrote:

When a VM hangs, xentop actually thinks its running (its state = r and
its using nearly 100% CPU). Its not possible to connect to the VM via
the network (not even ping it), nor is it possible to connect the
console (console just hangs).

Sounds like a common problem with xenconsoled

This is the advice I had from Ferenc Wagner on 18 Jul 2009

 > Also, if it were that, wouldn't I expect to see other guests on the
 > same host lock up ?

It isn't that simple.  Other guests lock up when they fill their
console buffers, apparently.  But new guests seem to work fine for
me.  Just try it, when you next experience this: stop xend, kill
xenconsoled, start xends.  Don't touch xenstored!  If everything
returns to normal, then this was it.  If not, then something else. :)

It's worked for me every time.

--
Simon Hobson