[Xen-users] iSCSI domU - introducing more stability

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] iSCSI domU - introducing more stability
From: "netz-haut - stephan seitz" <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:24:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 05:25:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

during peak load on some running domU, I noticed random iSCSI "Reported LUNs
data has changed" which forced me to shutdown the respective domU, re-login the
target and do a fsck before starting domU again.

This occurred on a 16 core machine, having only about 14 domUs running. Spare
memory has been occupied by dom0 (about 40G). Each domU has it's own iSCSI
target.
iSCSI is initiated by open-iscsi via a quad port e1000e w/ offloading and mode0
bonding (this has recently been changed from 802.3ad to round-robin as the
switch manuel advices not to use LACP if possible..., however) .

Dom0 is Debian Lenny amd64 (out of the box - setup)

Any ideas how to avoid iSCSI dead locking? I *assume* it's caused by CPU
saturation, as the load has shown above 16.0 on dom0, but I don't know how to
throttle I/O...

Oh, using an iSCS HBA instead of open-iscsi would need very good arguments as
this kind of hardware is not the cheapest...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

--
Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: http://www.netz-haut.de/

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054