[Xen-users] DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL by xennet.sys, Server 2008 x64

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL by xennet.sys, Server 2008 x64
From: Mike Williams <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:30:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:31:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a gentoo dom0 running on some new Nehalem boxes.
Our dozen or so existing servers run a xenified 2.6.21, but we can't get the
new Intel network chipset working with it.
So, I'm giving a pv_ops dom0 from xen-tip/master a go, and Xen 3.4.1 to go
with it. rebase/master is a bit too bleeding edge for me. So far, it's working
great.

Along with this, and the reason for the email, I need to get a 2008 Server x64
install going on one of these Nehalem servers.
After installing gplpv_fre_wlh_AMD64_0.10.0.86.msi, following a "workaround"
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-05/msg00533.html, no
"new disk installed" prompt however) as soon as I do any network stuff (web
browsing, windows update, etc) it BSODs with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and
restarts immediately, before being able to display anything.
Many attempts later I just caught the driver that "caused" the crash,
xennet.sys. Which kinda makes sense, seeing as it's using the network that
crashes it.
Boot NOGPLPV and it's perfectly fine.
I've done this now on two different installs, the second was completely
updated, including SP2, taking several trips through windows updates, before
gplpv was installed.
The network is DHCP and stateless IPv6 autoconfigured, and 2008 gets both
addresses just fine.
Typically, I haven't seen anyone else seeing this problem. Am I the only one?

I have no particular compulsion to running xen-tip/master if that's the reason
for the crash. The kernel just has to have support for the Intel 82576 NIC :)
Being compilable by GCC 3.4.6 would be a bonus too (pv_ops 2.6.30+ aren't).

Thanks

--
Mike Williams