[Xen-users] Re: using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: using Linux as a NAS / SAN device
From: "Brian P. Martin" <Brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:58:59 -0700
Cc: Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:59:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rudi,

> From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at using Linux as a NAS / SAN device, and would like some
> input from others who have done this before?

For a different approach, you might look at NBD (ref:
http://nbd.sourceforge.net/).  That's really more of a pretend SAN, in that
it's serving up virtual block devices over your network that the local
machines can use as they sees fit (ext3, NTFS, raw database partition, ...),
rather than offering network services (i.e. SMB, FTP, etc.).  I haven't
tried it, but I see that OpenSUSE has included it in at least some of their
recent distros, and they don't usually include stuff in the base distro
unless it's pretty solid.

Have fun.

               -Brian