Re: [Xen-users] Difference between xenified and pv_ops kernel

To: Peter Braun <xenware@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Difference between xenified and pv_ops kernel
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:11:06 +0300
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:11:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 05:05:56PM +0200, Peter Braun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have successfully tried to run both xenified and pv_ops 2.6.30
> kernels for DomU.
>
> How would you describe the main difference between those two approaches?
>
> What is the main difference?
> Are the possibilities the same?
> What about speed?
>
> Our needs for domu are pretty low - some CPU, some RAM, lvm HDD, 1-3
> virtual NICs. That's all.
> Nothing like PCI/USB passtrough - just plain VPS linux machine.
>
> Differences from our point of view:
>
> 1) pv_ops can be used even with latest 2.6.31-rcX kernels

pv_ops Xen domU support has been there since Linux 2.6.24, and like you
said, it is included in the upstream/mainline Linux kernel, so it's always
there to use without extra patches.

Also with pv_ops the same kernel image can be used on baremetal (without
Xen), and also as Xen domU.

> 2) xenified kernel currently with 2.6.30.2 only

Yes it's separate patching, and custom forward-porting, so pv_ops is much
easier solution.

> 3) in XM TOP idling VPS with xenified kernel is really not consuming
> CPU(secs) while
>     VPS with pv_ops kernel is always using like 1-3% of CPU even when
> guest OS idle.

-- Pasi