[Xen-users] DomU can't access PCI Parallel port (was SVM not detected on

To: <djmagee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] DomU can't access PCI Parallel port (was SVM not detected on Opteron 1220)
From: "Brian P. Martin" <Brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:31:17 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:33:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Doug,

> Your DomUs will only see the emulated hardware.  To see your real
> hardware inside a DomU you will have to pass it through.  Without the
> appropriate hardware, you'll only be able to pass-through hardware to a
> PV guest.  Since you're on AMD, I'm going to have to assume you don't
> have IOMMU hardware, as they haven't sold any yet that I know.  Google
> searches for the right keywords will reveal more than enough info you
> can piece together to achieve this, but here's a short summary:
>
> Make sure pciback is available in your Dom0 kernel (either built-in or
> as a module).
> Identify PCI device you want to hide, likely using lspci
> If pciback is builtin, then you'd have to add a 'pciback.hide=(...)' to
> the Dom0 kernel line in grub and restart
> Otherwise, you can hide the device after startup as described here:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_
> s_module
> Assign the device to your DomU with a pci = [ '...' ] line the domain's
> configuration file
>
> I don't have any experience with PV passthrough, but it should be
> easier, though less stable/secure than HVM passthrough.  Also, lately,
> xen pci pass-through development has focused mostly on iommu backed
> passthrough, and I've read messages suggesting there are more
> restrictions to pv passthrough in more recent versions of xen.

Thanks for the great summary.  I've already been through this, but your list
helped me check my work.  DomU still seems to know that the device is there,
but can't talk to it.  In addition to the pci= statement, do I need to map
IOPORTs and/or IRQs?

                                 -Brian