Re: [Xen-users] First XEN install: Installing XEN in virtual machine? &R

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] First XEN install: Installing XEN in virtual machine? &Remote GUI for XEN? & etc.
From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:41:19 +0530
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:11:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=aVsiMLHOxOwHqJ6+pkaMutuAAPIDe7MZw3nKXpqmqJg=; b=txWOZUhRgLYBlUfHmt8kTXUbKwoMv4NviDzWTY4fHgdQXwe/TMNs9uRLmXB3k0yhy0 RXR5zACfQgQg48VFz6euQZ4TXzvZRO1XBXkxDlNPo9Ocu6BM+6v/C33foCq76xqV5o6H 2VsBjnFPrWVBFLCnxpJ+M4hbhvLJ/yF6yzXF4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Nick Couchman<Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) No, not necessarily.  Many VM systems (Parallels, VMware, even XEN HVMs)
> emulate Ring 0 access for the operating system running on top of it, so
> there isn't any reason for direct hardware access.  However, you really
> should grab some older or cheaper hardware and install Xen directly on the
> hardware - it will be very, very slow running inside parallels.

Actually I don't want to run xen inside Parallels. I wanted to run
convirture, a GUI based XEN management tool, in a virtual linux
install inside Parallels on Mac. Convirture requires the XEN kernel to
be installed, so I wondered if it could be installed in a virtual
Linux install.

> 2) There really isn't much point to this - if you're going to be trying out
> the GUI tools, you really need Xen running.  Furthermore, most of the tools
> look for Xen to be running on the system and attempt to communicate with it
> upon startup, so you probably won't get very far.

I want the GUI XEN tool on my laptop/rather Macbook with virtual Linux
installed. The actual Servers to be managed are in my office. I want
to be able to connect to my office from wherever I am & be able to use
the GUI based XEN management tools. There is no XEN to be managed on
my laptop. Here I use Parallels. I think VMware & Parallels are the
only Mac Virtualization tools & I didn't like VMware trial.

> 3) Not sure what you're asking here, but you should be able to install the
> Xen kernel and management tools and not install X, Gnome, KDE, etc.  Of
> course, if you eliminate X from your install, this may also prevent you from
> running some of the GUI-based management tools.

What I mean here that I want dom0 on the XEN machine to be
minimalistic. Just be able to run virtual OSs and nothing else....no
apps i.e. For everything else, I will run a domU virtual server. One
for Desktop, one for mail server & so on. If I install a lot of
services on the dom0, it will be a victim to user error, wrong
configurations & of course the exploits on the apps running in dom0.
All I mean is that I want a minimal xen dom0 install that can have a
virtual linux desktop in domU.

Hope this clarifies what I wanted to ask. Please advise.

Regards & Thanks.
Sanjay.

--
~~~EOF~~~