Re: [Xen-users] network problems

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] network problems
From: Mike Lovell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:55:45 -0600
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:56:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Mike Lovell<mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried setting an independent wallclock on all of the virtual machines. I
also managed to miss that I had the wrong netmask configured for the vmnet
bridge. It should have been 255.255.255.128. The vms were able to talk to
each other before changing the netmask and I saw traffic flowing past the
switch.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? I am great need of
some help here.

How well maintained is Debian's 2.6.26 xen kernel? xen.org's 2.6.18
kernel might work better for you. Or go the other way around, using
latest pv_ops kernel.

The Debian 2.6.26 xen kernel is one where they used the OpenSuse patches. I checked the changelog and it looks like the bulk of it was added in October '08 with a few minor changes since. I don't know how recent the patches that were applied at that time were.

I would like to avoid using anything less than 2.6.26 because the boxes have hard drive controllers that use the sata_mv driver. This driver was experimental until about 2.6.26 and had issues with things like hot-swap and error handling before .26. Although, I might need to make that sacrifice if I am going to get this to work.

I have also tried getting a pv_ops kernel to work before. If I remember correctly, I got a domU to boot with a pv_ops kernel but, so far, my efforts to do it with dom0 have been epic fail. It will either die as soon as Xen passes control to the dom0 kernel or soon there after. I usually just get frustrated and leave it for a while. So I don't really have particulars on the pv_ops dom0 failures. Any pointers? Will a pv_ops dom0 work on a xen 3.2? or do I need something higher like 3.4 or unstable? I think I would rather try this route than going back to 2.6.18.

My biggest question though is why would traffic not be getting passed from the dom0 vif interface to the domU eth0 interface? This is the problem I am seeing and it seems to happen on somewhat regular intervals. Is this something you have seen or heard of before? I don't have specifics other than I know the traffic isn't getting passed cause I see the packets on the vif interface but not the guest network interface during tcp dumps on both.

Thanks for taking some time to help me.

mike