[Xen-users] Netback grant fails

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Netback grant fails
From: Pepe Barbe <elventear@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:27:52 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:28:44 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date :x-mailer; bh=CWGCUVr5yQbZns+Oc3O1F6s7n1ai1poa2vpVWHiEKzA=; b=glsog5ql/oZOCcLKWPR8LnrIiy5QnsWZABNPNrQISPy+aTbfl9UAYvQraj/NWmk0G1 gbS7AHioZOeri56kPNzy+HNDbj88lp1HAktSnysMh+swaaOKvqa6T0x/tBpF7WFoh7tx 6Q68FbFmYqIzPsVIfgk38eVcmayjzTcFvU4WQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

For the past year I have been trying to debug a problem with my Xen setup that involves a passthrough PCI card. If there was too much network traffic (where too much, could be around 5 Mbps) the network would freeze and I would loose all my connectivity.

Initially I had the dom0 on Ubuntu 8.04 and things were terrible then. If I reached this state, the OS would have something in Ininturrptible I/O and I couldn't gracefully shut down, creating the possibility of breaking havoc on my software RAID. Since I moved the dom0 to Centos 5.3 using the latest stable Xen, the problem has abated but still happens on rare occasions; at least the system is responsive and I restart all the domUs and have the network come back.

It happened recently again I think I have found something that could be interesting in the Kernel Log (Posted at the end of the email).

The card in question uses the tg3 driver and requires it to be setup in PCI permissive mode. As you will see, the first line of my paste below says 'ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:04:00.0 disabled' and then the netback fails.

Any ideas of what is going on or what could I do so I can reduce the likelihood of this happening again even more?

Thanks,
Pepe

ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:04:00.0 disabled
eth0: port 2(vif2.0) entering disabled state
device vif2.0 left promiscuous mode
eth0: port 2(vif2.0) entering disabled state
#### netback grant fails

< snip >

#### netback grant fails
eth0: port 4(vif4.0) entering disabled state
device vif4.0 left promiscuous mode
eth0: port 4(vif4.0) entering disabled state
eth0: port 3(vif3.0) entering disabled state
device vif3.0 left promiscuous mode
eth0: port 3(vif3.0) entering disabled state