Re: [Xen-users] Troubles converting a pv host from dom0-hosted kernel to

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Troubles converting a pv host from dom0-hosted kernel to self-contained kernel
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:20:36 +0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:21:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Guillaume
Rousse<Guillaume.Rousse@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First issue: I found than it was mandatory to use root=/dev/xvda1 in order
> to mount root device when booting, despite the partition being exported as
> sda1 according to domU configuration. Is this normal ?

It is, since you use 2.6.27. It will silently change [hs]da to xvda.

> Second issue, the boot stop at root partition mount time, trying to force
> fsck:
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a -a /dev/sda1
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> This happens whatever device I use for root partition in domU /etc/fstab
> (/dev/sda1 or /dev/xdva1). However, I can perfectly mount
> /dev/vg0/sexonthebeach as an ext3 partition in domU. Morevoer, the emergency
> shell has expected content monted under / in both case...

This is odd. What is the EXACT message you got when fstab use xvda1?
I'd try :
- modifying domU config to use xvda1
- change fstab to use xvda
- rebuild domU's initrd
- try again

> Last question, loosely related to this problem: is there a way to easily
> convert a partition-based host to a disk-based host (phy:/dev/vg0/foo,sda1
> -> phy:/dev/vg0/foo,sda) ?

None that I know of. Normal cp/tar/rsync/dd should do. I like
partition-based host setup better, since it's easier to mount on dom0
and resize the disk when necessary.

--
Fajar