Re: [Xen-users] Xen Networking and bonded interfaces on Debia Lenny

To: Joshua Boniface <joshua.boniface@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Networking and bonded interfaces on Debia Lenny
From: David Scammell <davescammell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:38:14 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:39:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=6pd6CoyZJK1gcQCo14HONovwlvZJShAZ2Rs8OD3O/B4=; b=NZ1fXyhgyEbh4DSO6MOaUwg3kwveoyMdZpdf+4iqa+LUjRUigalHGLDgVjOQmECOf9 O5/E9W2MeW8YjPIXD/FMwnxeFRtEnY8QV9YlC+y6iVO5UjANy+t3pz+3jjAAZZ/CZxfM bVPLF/GAo2/L1JazS+dXkrrRmjhtx1t7n+ZA4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/7/6 Joshua Boniface <joshua.boniface@xxxxxxxx>
Thank you for your assistance gentlemen, by using network-dummy I've been able to get networking working in Dom0, however, since I have no bridge, not in the DomUs. The OS is Debian Lenny, so if anyone knows how to set up such a bridge manually, I'd definitely appreciate the help! Thanks,

This is what I've just done, this is lightly tested so far, a bonded pair and bridging on top of it, just bring up the br0 interface (ifup br0) and it will build the bond automatically itself:

Bonding
in a Debian Lenny based Xen Dom0

Add 'bonding' to /etc/modules, actually the ifenslave script loads this module if not already present, but this is untested.

Prepare an interfaces script similar to this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo br0
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface - this for dom0 access, would probably be a static address in production.
allow-hotplug eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth1 eth3
bond_mode active-backup (or 802.3ad for LACP)
bond_primary eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_updelay 400
bond_downdelay 200
# see /usr/share/doc/ifenslave-2.6/README.Debian and more usefully
# /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ifenslave

iface br0 inet manual
# use the following if a dom0 IP is required for this lan
#iface br0 inet static
# address 192.168.0.2
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# broadcast 192.168.0.255
# you may want gateway 192.168.0.1 etc here also
# if not using an IP then you can choose to add bridge_maxwait 0 but this is untested
# continue with the following
bridge_ports bond0
pre-up /sbin/ifup bond0
post-down /sbin/ifdown bond0
# see man bridge-utils-interfaces

for this to work you should first of installed bridge-utils and ifenslave(-2.6). I see no reason why this cannot be expanded to cover as may interfaces/bonds as is required, it might be necessary to include options bonding max_bonds=2 etc if using more than one network bond.

The debian lenny setup already has network-dummy in place and is the default. Amend the bridge name in the vmx file if required but I believe (for a non-HVM domain) it will automatically use br0 rather than the old xenbr0 name. There really isn't anything else which requires modifing.

cheers dave