[Xen-users] how many VCPUs per physical CPU?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] how many VCPUs per physical CPU?
From: Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:48:07 +0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 05:48:49 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=DqMMGMJili0GyH2MD3h7WX18vCI6QX+Xh+sDvLm78ls=; b=nX7m7APaGLx83fl0nHD4xiXzLWf+1Yj0PiafNbK1H1h0ReY9pths6yqbdDqwCTcilr MVjDzxqYWL+gYt60LKcgVpEkWGpgQOXEVUFUYmRyCoPC+B2LoHCNHVtkeMp6q/JejJD5 ZBYILya+qlNj5ECZWOkcRHt1iINJINqJ6Vo6k=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I have a machine with  Intel Xeon E5420 quad core processor and I'm
now wondering how to divide the CPU between all Xen instances.

I am running one qmail based mail server and several LAMP web servers.
The server OS is CentOS Linux.

What I've learnt from the archives is that dom0 should have its own
dedicated core.

But what about the rest, the mail server needs most CPU time, so I
could dedicate a core for it too. Would id benefit from having access
to the "pool" of the remaining cores too?

And what about VCPUs. Would a dom0 or domU benefit having say 2 VCPUs
and running an SMP kernel while in reality it is running only on 1
physical core?

Regards,
Peter