[Xen-users] Xen-bridge throughput

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen-bridge throughput
From: Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:03:38 +0530 (IST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:34:31 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.in; s=s1024; t=1246347219; bh=hScrhJziCBMtqiTHqvNcd4YwnkeLhO23nWcKA+EcaJI=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=cdEHxdFIn5bzciT17HdXLUQwKnfZXjO4aQPYd35UvHDMrEAgKotQAPvSQMMdeNZpfVlqTAmn/wFQGmHJH6RZs+HXt2CbaZLT3evyoNxUvmmdxqXwfnwuVvliAa70a8cS+onPKiyhwiLC5OtR5K0aOyODIGeFuYEhRTEKFk8wSLI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,
I have setup Debian etch host with 4 etch and 4 lenny guests on one of my servers.
Dell PowerEdge 2970:
  • 2 x AMD Dual Core Opteron processors, 2GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache.
  • 8 GB RAM (4 x 2 GB)
  • 4 x 146 GB Hard Disks
  • Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet NIC
  • 10 Gbps PCI Ethernet
I am performing different experiments for network throughput analysis of virtual bridge. For this purpose I am using a network benchmark. Most of the results are comparable to the other plate forms like fedora8 except one. That is While sending packets from Guest1 to Gueat2 on the same physical machine the throughput varies from 10 to 40 Mbps. But on 5th, 6th turn it increases all of a sudden with no change in specifications. It reaches  almost  1800Mbps.
What could be the reason for it? Here is one more thing that I observed about it, the throughput is ok (around 1000 to 3000 Mbps) if the UDP is used instead of TCP. And even if we talk about Guest to Guest communication on different physical machines.
Why is that so... What is the cause of this variation in network throughput?

Regards,
Fasiha Ashraf

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.