[Xen-users] Graphic Application in Virtual Machines

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Graphic Application in Virtual Machines
From: philippe robert <philippe.c.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:55:19 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:56:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey,
I want to provide an isolation between some no-graphic applications and a Media Center. Until now, the Media Center was running in dom0, I would like to know if it is possible to make it run in a domU. This Media Center is installed in dom0 but does not work. The display is provided by VNC and the console returns "Cannot get root display. Is X11 running and is your DISPLAY variable set?"
the DISPLAY variable is set. But no graphic server is supposed to run in a domU.
The dom0 and the domUs have however the same structure, except that with dom0 is provided some tools to control the domUs. so I would like to stop the graphic server from the dom0 and to start an other one in a domU. But only dom0 has direct access to hardware (here the graphic card) and not domU.
How is it possible to remove the direct access of dom0 to the hardware and provide it to the DomU? I am pretty sure it is possible with the structure of Xen. I don't care if the VM with access to the graphic card crashes as I don't need graphic application to be displayed in dom0.
Sorry to bother you with this tricky question! But this time, google and the other kind of usual support does not help that much.
And thank you a lot for your help.
Philippe