RE: [Xen-users] present domU with 1 CPU with multiple cores

To: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] present domU with 1 CPU with multiple cores
From: Jonathan Salomon <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:52:30 +0300
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:53:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeff,

Thanks for your reply! Regarding the "xm vcpu-list": that's what I was looking
for (RTFM). However I still have no luck with the cpuid. One of the example
config files contains the following section for a one socket 8 core cpu:

#   Expose to the guest multi-core cpu instead of multiple processors
# Example for intel, expose a 8-core processor :
#cpuid=['1:edx=xxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
#          ebx=xxxxxxxx00010000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
#     '4,0:eax=001111xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx']
#  - CPUID.1[EDX][HT] : Enable HT
#  - CPUID.1[EBX] : Number of vcpus * 2
#  - CPUID.4,0[EAX] : Number of vcpus * 2 - 1
#vcpus=8

Therefore I figured that for a single CPU with 2 cores I needed to change this
as follows:

cpuid=['1:edx=xxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,ebx=xxxxxxxx00000100xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx','4,0:eax=000011xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx']
vcpus=2

However my application still complains that 'The server has 2 CPUs, but this
product is licensed for 1'. What am I doing wrong? I have a m1.xlarge instance
on Amazon EC2, which exposes a single CPU with 4 cores to the OS and the
application eats that perfectly. So it should be possible...

Also I cannot find any documentation on the cpuid syntax (e.g. none in the
xmdomain.cfg manpages). Could anyone point me to that or just explain it to me?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best wishes,

Jonathan Salomon
IT Manager
Panaya Inc. - Cut 50% of your SAP upgrade cost with automation software.
Tel: +972 (0) 9 761 8007
Cell: +972 (0) 52 7335999
Fax: +972 (0) 9 746 7901
E-mail: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx