Re: [Xen-users] domU with 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userland - OK?

To: Thaddeus Hogan <thaddeus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU with 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userland - OK?
From: Mike Lovell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:50:43 -0600
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:51:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/21/2009 6:22 PM, Thaddeus Hogan wrote:
I've just started playing around with Xen and am probably going to P2V some servers over to it pretty soon.  One thing I just tested for the P2V was to run a restore from a current backup into a filesystem on my Xen host.  Then I just made the fstab and getty tweaks and booted the domU with the kernel on the host (vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64).

This sure made for an easier P2V than a re-build of the system and re-deployment of the applications and configs.  Only thing is, after I was playing around with it for awhile I realized that the server I P2Ved was 32-bit.

Everything seems to be working fine running the 64-bit xen kernel and the 32-bit userland.

The question is: It works, are there reasons I should not run it this way for the time being?

I have been using a setup for months that includes several 32 bit PV machines using the 64 bit kernel from the host. They haven't had any problems. Except for applications but these are using for software testing so that is expected. Things have worked great in that situation for me. I have been using Debian Etch and Lenny as the hosts and vms.

mike