RE: [Xen-users] Performance question on 32-bit HVM DomU vs 64-bit HVM D

To: Evgeniy Sudyr <eject.in.ua@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Performance question on 32-bit HVM DomU vs 64-bit HVM DomU on top of 64-bit Xen Hypervisor
From: Kelven Yang <kelven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:53:14 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:54:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Evgeniy,

Thanks for the reply.

I used Netperf
(ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/benchmarks/netperf/netperf-2.4.1.tar.gz)
as the testing tool.

Here is my test configuration

        . CentOS 5.2 with Xen 3.3.0 64-bit Hypervisor
        . 32-bit Windows XP HVM guest with PV drivers
        . 32-bit Windows XP HVM guest with PV drivers
        . 64-bit Windows XP Pro HVM guest
        . 62-bit Federa10 PV guest
        . 32-bit CentOS 5.2 PV guest
        . 1Gbits/second network

Network throughput on 32/64 bit PV guests are almost the same, but 32-bit
Windows HVM performed far slower than its 64-bit counterpart.

        About 930 mbits/second on 32/64 bit PV guests
        About 140 mbits/second on 64-bit Windows XP HVM guest
        About 30 mbits/second on 32-bit Windows XP HVM guest with PV drivers
        About 15 mbits/second on 32-bit Windows XP HVM guest without PV drivers

Kelven