[Xen-users] RE: Need to choose a (free) hypervisor

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: Need to choose a (free) hypervisor
From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:56:00 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:56:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David,

As far as I know, there's not a real threat of Citrix taking Xen in a direction
that would leave you stranded.  XEN is licensed under the GNU GPL2.

We do a lot of virtualization and use both Xen (free) and Parallels Containers
(not free, but pretty cool paravirtualization for Windows).

Hyper-V is a neat solution if you're running Enterprise or Datacenter, because
then you can have as many VMs as you want without additional software licenses.
 However, in my experience, the performance is terrible.

ESXi is a good option for ease of use, but the lack of live migration nukes my
desire to use it.

My $.02

Best Regards
Nathan Eisenberg