Re: [Xen-users] run a VM from a previous physical disk install ?

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 6:07 AM, David Morris<dmorris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would try showing the windows guest the whole physical drive
> as I think windows needs to see the partition table.  Just be careful
> to not modify the partition table or non-windows partitions from
> windows.
>
>    disk = [ "phy:/dev/sda,hda,w" ]

Yes, that would be most space-efficient. Dont forget to read this as
well : http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
There's one caveat though: if you accidently choose linux entry (the
one you're currently booting), it could mean disaster as dom0's
filesystem will be mounted twice (on physical and virtual) and it
almost always create data corruption. It's usually best to create a
new domU with its own storage.

For P2V, I usually do it semi-manually with ntfsclone and ntfsreloc
(works great for XP and Win2003). You could also google xen windows
p2v, where one of the results is this :
http://www.ruizs.org/archives/63

--
Fajar