Re: [Xen-users] initrd for 32-bit domU on 64-bit dom0

To: john maclean <jayeola@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] initrd for 32-bit domU on 64-bit dom0
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 20:37:55 +0700
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 06:38:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, john maclean<jayeola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> CentOS dom0 is 64-bit. Xen from the repo.  Created some 32-bit domU
> and grabbed one from jailtime.org.
>
> The domUs refuse to boot unless they use an initrd created with
> mkinitrd --omit-scsi-modules --with=xennet --with=xenblk
> --preload=xenblk initrd-$(uname -r)-no-scsi.img $(uname -r)` but at
> least the domUs boot.

See http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-03/msg00372.html
to convert jailtime.org image to pygrub-booted image.

> The issue is that they all think that they are 64-bit servers.
>
> -bash-3.2# arch
> x86_64
> -bash-3.2# uname  -m
> x86_64
>
> Thus whenever I try to update any packages they want to pull in 64-bit
> packages. Is there somewhere within /sys or /proc that I can use to
> overcome this?

Newer 64bit Xen hypervisor can boot 32bit kernel just fine (The one on
centos >= 5.2 is new enough). If you use 32bit kernel to boot domU,
you won't need any workaround.

If you want to use your current setup anyway, create /etc/rpm/platform
with this line in it:

i686-redhat-linux

That should sort out rpm/yum problems. You'd still be having problems
with userland programs that interact with kernel modules though
(iptables is one of them)

--
Fajar