[Xen-users] Match between Dom0 and DomU PV

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Match between Dom0 and DomU PV
From: Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <xenon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:47:41 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:48:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  I have a bit of a Xen theory question.

  I have a Debian 5 Lenny x64 Dom0 currently running two DomUs. One is an x64
built via
Xen-tools, and it seems to be running great. The second (known as Alpha) is
having some
troubles, as I mentioned in my post "Ubuntu 8.04 DomU crash" to this list on
5/12/09. It
is an x86/32 Ubuntu 8.04 that started life as an HVM and was rebuilt into a PV
where it is
today. It runs well for a day or two, then dies. Right now I'm just rebooting
it while I
decide what the best fix is. I knowit needs a different/newer kernel than what
it's
running now.

  Here's my real question: how much match-up must there be between the kernel
of the Dom0
and of the PV DomU? Here, I have a Debian 5 x64 (2.6.26-2-xen-amd64) Dom0 and
Ubuntu 8.04
x86-32 (2.6.24-23-xen) DomU. It seems to be known that that 2.6.24-23-xen is
the problem,
and 2.6.28.8 is recommended.

  Before I go recompile my DomU, I'm curious how closely they have to match?
Like, if I
have a newer Xen version in the DomU or the Dom0, do they get along ok?

  I also have little experience with x64 Linux -- I presume I can't just boot
my Ubuntu
8.04 (x86-32) DomU using the 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 kernel my Dom0 uses, because
that DomU is
an entirely 32-bit Ubuntu, and the Dom0 is a 64-bit Debian kernel, right?

  Thanks in advance for suggestions.