[Xen-users] gplpv driver signature problem under win2k8_64bit

To: <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] gplpv driver signature problem under win2k8_64bit
From: <mjp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:35:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:36:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I am at a complete loss of ideas here:

I have a
- xen3.3.1 hypervisor compiled from source with
- dom0 being 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 kernel from debian/lenny repository with
- windows 2008 64bit as hvm guest.
I use the gplpv drivers 0.10.0.69 from James Harper.

The included files (xenpci.sys and xennet.sys) are apparently test-signed, so applying test-signing as boot option does enable windows to boot

bcdedit /set testsigning on

without this, windows complaints about xenpci.sys not beeing digitally signed.

BUT even with test signing enabled, the network device does not work. The Device Manager reports an Error Code 39 for the Xen PV Net Device.

when I manually choose the F8 option "Disable digital signature verification" at boot time (on every boot), everything works fine.

I have also tried to test-sign the files with signtool.exe from the windows sdk, but I think I could not grasp the concept and made something wrong.
However, as James Harper seemed to already have test signed the .sys files, there should be no need to use signtool.exe

Has anybody any idea what I could try to make this work?

I am already brute-forcing any possible configuration, but could not find a working solution so far.

There where other reports on this list, that the above combination does not work for unknown reasons.
If there is no solution to this problem, maybe there are some hints where I could start debugging the problem?

thanks a lot,

Max-Julian Pogner