RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) inWin2003x64onXenServerEnterprise 5.0

To: "dex80526" <dex80526@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) inWin2003x64onXenServerEnterprise 5.0 (CD drive missing)
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 17:11:25 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 May 2009 00:12:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> We have the similar problem with GPLV 0.9.12.-pre13) with Window 2003
R2
> (32bits) server on Xen 3.3.1.
> 1) after we bootup with GPLV, we no longer see CDROM driver with the
same
> xen configuration for the HVM
> 2) after manually attached the driver with running VM using xm
block-attach
> command, the cdrom driver shows up. However, there is no way to
detach/eject
> the cdrom.
> 3) If I use xm block-configure command to point to another ISO file,
the
> content of CDROM keeps the same as the previous one.
> 4) I tried using xenstore-write to point to another file, the content
of
> CDROM does not change either.
> 5) If I xm block-detach the driver, it will take a long time for the
command
> to return (during this time, the domain0 appears frozen, and I even
can not
> login into the domain0 from another terminal.) Very often, this
operation
> causes BSOD of the VM.
>
> Are there any solution or workaround of this?  I need a way to
programmly
> detach and re-attach the CDROM.
> thanks,
> dex

Under Xen 3.4, GPLPV should behave a little differently. The qemu
devices will be hidden by qemu itself, meaning no yellow exclamation
marks. Additionally, GPLPV will not provide a driver for CDROM devices,
and qemu will leave the CDROM device enabled, so eject etc should still
work.

I have only tested it with 3.3.1 + the patch that went into 3.4, not
with 3.4 itself, so I haven't personally verified that it works as
described.

James