[Xen-users] System freezes (hangs) and unexpected reboots with Xen 3.3.1

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] System freezes (hangs) and unexpected reboots with Xen 3.3.1 and W2k8 domU
From: Stephan Austermühle <au@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:16:31 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 May 2009 01:18:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

my Xen server basically runs stable with lots of Linux domU's. This changes as
soon as I start a domU running Windows 2008 Server: Sometimes it takes only
minutes, sometimes it takes days until the whole server either freezes or
reboots — usually without any message on console or logs. Sometimes I've got
messages like "rejecting I/O to offline device" on console that lead me to a
reported bug in the megasas driver. So I updated it to 4.01.

Since then I have never seen the "rejecting I/O..." messages again but the
system still freezes or reboots shortly after creating the W2k8 HVM domU. I
have already setup syslog forwarding to a another server but there are no
helpful messages either.

Software details:

- Xen 3.3.1 (Debian 5.0/Lenny), 64 bit
- dom0: Linux kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
- domU: Windows 2008, 64 bit installation + James Harper's GPL PV drivers, 4
cores, 4096 megabytes memory

Hardware configuration:
- 2x Intel Xeon 5140 (dual core)
- Intel SRCSAS18E RAID controller using the megasas driver

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Stephan